Thursday, September 23, 2010

I KNOW I LOVE DOGS & PORCUPINES...USUALLY!

Joey woke me up early this morning as he was headed out for a flight. After I was partially awake he told me "There is a problem with Macy she ran into a porcupine last night. Sorry gotta catch my flight.". I walked downstairs to see Macy who was sitting outside on the back porch. I couldn't even look at her without crying, the worst part was there was nothing we could do for her. I called our vet and got an emergency number for an animal hospital open all night. When I talked to them they said if they had been all night waiting 2 more hours for or regular vet wouldn't be a huge problem. That is so easy to sat when they don't see the true puppy dog eyes.

Luckily we already had Macy's crate in the car since we are heading out of town this afternoon. The kids and I got ready to head out and loaded Macy into her crate. She jumped right in as usually hoping for some help. In her crate I could see how bad she was shaking and the foam & saliva coming out of her mouth. I coukd also see he quills not only all around her nose & mouth but on her legs.

I was able to drop the kids off at school and take Macy right over to the vet. They tried to make me feel better by telling me is happens all the time and we were lucky it wasn't a rattlesnake. They told me they would put her out and then the Vet would get all e quills out and that she would be awake late this afternoon.

I did get a call about 2 hours later and they told me we were lucky because it looked like Macy had run into a baby porcupine and that the quills were not in that deep. They also said she had them in her gums so would be tender and have a hard time eating and would bleed for several days. The worst part is she will be at the kennel at least they will know how to help her.

No comments:

Post a Comment